14 March 2008

For Heart's Sake...


March 25 will mark the second anniversary of Brad's Aortic Dissection. I was sitting here today thinking of how different my life would be if he hadn't of made it. I would have been a widow at 28 years old and lost my very best friend. But, not only that, but I would have lost Cassandra and never had known the joy and immense love for my son. I am so thankful for the work done by Amy Yasbeck. As she sits and awaits a verdict in her wrongful death suit for her husband, John Ritter, (See the news article here) I pray that she gets the verdict she desrves. No one deserves to lose their spouse at such a young age, and their daughter, Stella, definitely doesn't deserve to go through life not really knowing much about her father who loved her.

When Brad had his dissection, they almost just sent him home. They knew it wasn't a heart attack. They were about to assume that it was just a case of indigestion. Luckily, the doctor performed a cat scan as one last check. That last thing determined his fate. The doctor told me personally that the only reason Brad had a chance of survival was because of Amy Yasbeck and her earlier lawsuits. Now, most hospitals include a check for aortic dissection before sending home people who complain of chest pain.

Please send out your prayers and good vibes for Amy and this trial. A win would not just mean her getting the money she deserves, but it will bring aortic health awareness to the public and the health establishment.

This is what I am thankful for today:


***UPDATE***
Amy did not win her fight against the doctors. I do feel bad for her, but I know she is doing ok. I know that there are a lot of people who thought she was just going through with the suit for the money, but if you had spoken to her you would know the truth.

When Brad spoke to her this morning, just a couple of hours before the verdict, she said she just wanted it all to end. Now, this trying time is over for her, thank goodness, and she can go on with raising her daughter and promoting the John Ritter Foundation.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I was really pulling for Amy, too. The unfortunate thing about the jury system is that they sometimes get it wrong. But she has done so much to get the word out and the trial got a good amount of coverage which should help other families to have the same good fortune you have had.